For a recap of comments by ACC commissioner John Swofford and Tar Heel player representatives Bryn Renner and Kareem Martin, make sure to check out T.H.'s story here.
Also seen and overheard in Greensboro on Sunday:
- Inside Carolina notes that reporters asked Renner over a dozen times about South Carolina defensive lineman Jadeveon Clowney, who made waves last week at the SEC media event by saying certain quarterbacks, including Clemson's Tajh Boyd, and offensive linemen were afraid of him (for his part, Boyd says "no way"). Renner was diplomatic in his response, praising Clowney before reminding reporters he has had plenty of experience lining up against NFL first-round defensive line talent during his time at Carolina. Renner also pointed out he has one of the country's best left tackles in James Hurst to help keep the SCAR superstar at bay in the season opener in Columbia.
- The official UNC football Twitter feed pointed out the Carolina helmet on display today will be the primary helmet for this season, albeit with a slightly larger logo. The helmet will remain Carolina blue but the interlocking NC is now black, outlined in white (as opposed to the white with dark outline worn since Mack Brown's first season 25 years ago). My personal opinion is that I don't care for it, and I think the new uniforms are hideous as well. But, from a strict fashion sense, the new helmets more closely match the uniforms, so... #getoffmylawn
- I just realized when I wrote that last paragraph that Mack Brown's first season in Chapel Hill was, in fact, 25 years ago, in 1988. My sophomore year at Carolina. Wow. Did I say get off my lawn?
- The Tar Heels also released their initial depth chart for the upcoming season and a couple of things quickly jump out. First, the offensive line will be really, really young. After finally coming into their own last season, the aforementioned James Hurst will be the only senior starter on the O-line, but Russell Bodine, Kiaro Holts, and Landon Turner saw plenty of snaps last season. It is also interesting to note the tight end spot is listed as Eric Ebron or Jack Tabb. This is a little surprising given Ebron is receiving attention as a preseason all-ACC pick. The other "or" on offense is at running back, where A.J. Blue and Romar Morris are jockeying to replace Giovani Bernard. As coach Larry Fedora said on Sunday, both backs made plays last season so it stands to reckon that both will see plenty of action this season.
- Speaking of Fedora, Renner had nothing but praise for his coach. He mentioned that there is less uncertainty this season having had a year together, and that Fedora's "fiery personality" matched his own and that he couldn't ask for a better coach to play for.
- And finally, again courtesy of the official UNC football Twitter feed, apparently ESPN has been asking the players some, uh, unique questions. Examples include: Best Halloween costumes? What does football smell like? Sound like? Best practical joke? Sing the alma mater? Not surprising given the WWL's frequently weak coverage of ACC football. But the Tar Heels do have a contender in the best practical joke category.
The ACC Kickoff continues Monday with coach interviews. Larry Fedora will be on the clock sometime in the 3:00 hour.